About Nuclear Disasters
NUCLEAR AND RADIOLOGICAL EMERGENCY SCENARIOS:
There are two main centers of nuclear facilities in Tamil Nadu viz., Kalpakkam DAE Centre and Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project. The Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) has been identified as the nodal agency in the country for providing the necessary technical inputs to the national or local authorities for responding to any nuclear or radiological emergency in the public domain. In the event of any radiological or nuclear emergency in the public domain, the Crisis Management Group is immediately activated and will co-ordinate between the local authority in the affected area and the National Crisis Management Committee (NCMC).
Both the nuclear facilities have a detailed emergency preparedness and response plan for responding to radiation emergencies arising out of the nuclear facilities.
- Go indoors. Stay inside.
- Switch on the radio/television and look out for public announcements from your local authority.
- Close doors/windows.
- Cover all food, water and consume only such covered items.
- If in the open, cover your face and body with a wet handkerchief, towel, dhoti or sari. Return home, change/remove clothes. Have a complete wash and use fresh clothing.
- Extend full cooperation to local authorities and obey their instructions completely — be it for taking medication, evacuation, etc.
- You must be aware of nuclear radiation hazard. Discuss on Nuclear radiation safety among children and family members, to reduce their fear of radiation.
- Do not panic.
- Do not believe in rumours passed on by word of mouth from one person to another.
- Do not stay outside/or go outside.
- As far as possible, AVOID water from open wells/ponds; exposed crops and vegetables; food, water or milk from outside.
- Do not disobey any instruction of the district or civil defence authorities who would be doing their best to ensure the safety of you, your family and your property.